Tuesday, April 26, 2011

On Easter, Facebook and a Grateful Heart

The season of Lent and Easter seems to spring up so quickly. I really wanted to prepare more for it this year but did so in a hodge podge kind of way. This was the first year that we explained Jesus' death and resurrection to Weston. We have a couple of story bibles that have good age appropriate storytelling. My favorite brief summary from him was, "Jesus got dead on the cross and then He came back". Lots of tough questions too..."Mom, when are we going to heaven?" Tonight I was praying with him about Jesus as our Savior and when we were finished he asked, "Mom, does Jesus wear a cape?"

We made a palm branch the week of palm Sunday. He had his toy donkey trample over the palm to be accurate. The whole activity ended with him angrily throwing the donkey across the room. Whatever.



I gave up Facebook for Lent. I have a love/hate relationship with FB. It was good to have a break. And since I spent an unnecessary amount of time reading moment by moment updates of people's lives, I had quite a bit of time to reflect on some things. In BSF this year we're studying the book of Isaiah. A few weeks ago I read Isaiah 61:3 and it was the icing on the cake of things I feel like God is teaching me right now about a heart of gratitude.

NIV translation, "...to bestow on them...a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair"

NASB translation, "...He will give... a garment of praise instead of a faint spirit."

King James Bible, "...to give unto them...a garment of praise instead of a spirit of heaviness."

Spirit of despair? Check. Faint Spirit? Check. Spirit of heaviness? Check. Not all the time. But enough.

Pair that with reading this book and there is a new little addition to this blog. A running list of gratitude. Everyday and then I will copy here when I post. Choosing to have a spirit of thanksgiving in the moments of everyday life just as Jesus did the night before His death when he broke bread with the disciples. Focusing on gifts rather than hurrying. Seeing God's blessings and goodness in difficult and dark times. Slowing. Down. Changing.

It will not come easy friends and I will not do it perfectly, but you will hold me accountable (all ten of you :)).

And so we begin...

#1 Shades of spring greens contrasted with white of Dogwoods.
#2 Small hands with dimples for knuckles




#3 Husband who crosses things off my to-do list (because he did them)


I didn't really bother with Easter apparel, but Lily did look so sweet in this little dress. The only picture I have of it is her escaping through the front door. Which pretty much summarizes why it's the only picture I have of her.

1 comment:

  1. Beth, I'll be praying for you! I too struggle with focusing on negatives and being a "debby downer." It's easy to get overwhelmed in our fast-paced culture, and lose the big picture of the blessings God has given us. Thanks for sharing what God is doing in your life.

    ReplyDelete