Thursday, September 9, 2010

Potty Training Attempt 1: Failure

A couple of weeks ago I set forth to potty train Weston. I lasted approximately 9 hours. It was miserable. But here's the deal: I can handle cleaning accidents, I can handle being camped out at home, I can handle whatever length of time it takes to "get it". What I CANNOT handle is a tot who holds it (not even going in underwear) making himself unbearably uncomfortable, will not go on the potty and then proceeds to cry and scream on AND off the potty. Treats and prizes were even involved. Ones he REALLY wanted. But to no avail. I was done at 5:05 p.m. and strapped that diaper right back on. I won't be able to try again until 1) I'm getting more sleep (please, Lily, PLEASE!) and 2) Kurt is home for the first day or two to help prevent me from throwing anyone out the window.

These pictures were taken at 7:30 a.m when hopes were high and spirits were happy.





Weston is constipated today and I am reminded again of how much I hate the NOT going. Give me diarrhea any day of the week and twice on Saturday before constipation. Give me a toddler who pees and poops his pants for days before being potty trained. But please, not one that holds it until everyone is so miserable that diapers through high school becomes a viable option.

There you have it. That wraps up my thoughts on poop and potties. I'm pretty sure you were dying to know.

4 comments:

  1. i'd go through pregnancy, labor & c-section 5 more times just to avoid potty training julia. seriously- i hated it that much, and caroline was relatively textbook in her behavior. julia will wear diapers until her classmates shame her. or until she's 3 & can't go to preschool without some semblance of potty training. good luck, beth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear. i'm soooo sorry beth! you're right to wait. it's definitely a little easier with 2 adults...and some solid sleep under your belt. in the meantime ask kurt to show weston how to pee on trees and bushes outside one day... just so he might warm to the idea of going someplace other than a diaper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, your advice made me about pee my pants... ironic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen sister! Ava did the same thing. We went almost a week with minimal accidents but there was also minimal peeing in the potty! I just couldn't do it! And now, she has no desire to even sit on the potty! Neither of us is ready so we'll just wait!

    ReplyDelete